Method for dyeing fabrics with Bloodroot
Always remember to take the necessary precautions before setting off on your dyeing project. Clear a suitable area, wear gloves, old clothing and use equipment thats only used for dyeing. Work in a well ventilated area, away from pets and children.
- Cut the roots of the bloodroot plant into small pieces and soak in water for 2 hours.
- Bring the water to boil.
- Add clean, premordanted wool or scoured clothing into the dyebath.
- Simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Remove the wool and add Glauber’s salts (sodium sulfate) to the dyebath. Stir well.
- Put the wool back in and simmer another 1/2 hour.
- Let the dyebath cool and remove the wool.
- Rinse and allow to dry.